The most airy vineyard. Tempranillo and Graciano from a vineyard of more than 50 years located in the eastern part of Samaniego, as "Montecillo", where the wind has a higher impact. 14 months just aging in the barrel and 20 more polishing in a bottle give us a wine characterized by its freshness and personality.
Buy Selección de Ostatu 2016
- Vintage: 2016
- Vintage Classification: good
- Bottled: september 2018
- Production: 16,042 75 cl. bottles and 510 1,5 litres magnum
Intense red with dark purple highlights.
Aromas of ripe red and black fruit, spicy sweet and creamy balsamic signs, light sweet touch. Great personality of the tempranillo and evocations of the French oak.
In the mouth it marks an intense fruit with a good point of acidity and freshness. Sweet and soften tannin. Great liveliness and tasty acidity, profuse in the expression of the fruit.
Winegrowers & winemakers
- Wine-maker Sáenz de Samaniego Family. Vineyard management Sáenz de Samaniego Family .
- 92% Tempranillo and 8% Graciano
- Vineyards from Samaniego’s eastern and airy area and over 50 years old.
- Plantation density: 3.000 vines/hectare.
- Goblet pruning.
- Production: 5,000 kg/hectare.
- Hand harvested, in 15 Kg boxes, between 17th - 23th October 2014.
Vineyards and terrain
The grapes come from some of our eastern vineyards located in the "Montecillo" area, at an average altitude of 580 m above sea level.
Poor calcareous/clay and Stony soils, on south facing slopes. The subsoil is made up of various layers of white rock.
Vineyard grape selection, only the best grapes, with the best health and ripening parameters, are taken to the winery.
Light destemming process to avoid damaging the grapes. Cold pre-fermentative maceration. Alcoholic fermentation in small oak vats for 18 days at a maximum temperature of 27°C.
Reworking and breaking up the cap as appropriate during the fermentation. 70% malolactic fermentation in new French oak casks and 14 months cask ageing in new and second use’s ones.
Bottled: september 2018
This wine does not undergo any stabilisation process.
Mediterranean climate with strong Atlantic influence. Extreme winter-summer contrast.
Download the complete Selección de Ostatu 2016 Data Sheet (PDF)
<< Return to Singular Wines
- Precipitation: 463.2 litres
- Ave. Temp.: min 8.14ºC, max 18.37ºC, average 12.88ºC
- Soil Ave. Temp.: 14.46ºC