Lore de Ostatu 2016 Blanco
The coolest vineyard. Fermented in oak barrel and maturated on its lees for 6 months. Made with Viura and Malvasia from "Valcavada", a vineyard located inside the Protected Biotope of the Lagoons of Laguardia, facing north towards the Cantabria mountain range. A white wine with a perfect zonal and identity statement.
- Vintage: 2016
- Vintage Classification: very good
- Bottled: June 2017
- Production: 5,320 bottles
Pale and bright color with greenish and golden highlights.
Highlights include aromas of white fruits, such as roasted apple and pear and white flowers such as Espino Albar. In the mouth it is fresh, balanced fat and with a long dimension.
Winegrowers & winemakers
- Wine-maker: Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego. Vineyard management Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego and Ernesto Sáenz de Samaniego.
- 50% Viura, 50% Malvasia.
- Age of vines, 60 years old, "Valcavada" plot.
- Plantation density: 3,000 vines/ha.
- Goblet pruning.
- Production: 6,300 kg/ha
- Hand harvested, in 15 Kg boxes, on 20th September.
Vineyards and terrain
The grapes come from a special vineyard, "Valcavada", north faced, at an average altitude of 580m above sea level. This plot belongs to the protection area known as Biotope of Lagunas de Laguardia”.
Poor calcareous/clay soil, on north facing slopes. The subsoil is made up of various layers of white rock.
Destemmed and 8 hours low temperature maceration.
The grape must ferments on the lees in 500 l oaks during 27 days, with a temperature close to 16ºC. The wine is then kept with the lees in the cask until it is bottled, light weekly batonage.
Natural cold stabilisation. Filtered only for tartaric stabilisation process.
Bottling date: 8th June 2017.
Mediterranean climate with strong Atlantic influence. Extreme winter-summer contrast.
- Precipitation: 463.2 litres
- Ave. Temp: min 8.14ºC, max 18.37ºC, average 12.88ºC
- Average temperature of the soil: 14.46ºC