Ostatu Tinto 2019
Our origins. Young red of carbonic maceration: the simplest and most natural fermentation of a wine. Made with Tempranillo, Viura, Graciano and Mazuelo from the youngest vineyards.
- Vintage: 2019
- Vintage Classification: excellent
- Production: 155,000 bottles
"Picota" cherry colour with violet reflections. In the nose brings us memories of ripened red and black fruits, light citrus sign, flower petals and balsamic fragrance are rounding the set. Firm perfume of fruit and marked sign of the carbonic maceration process. In the mouth it is greedy, enveloping, with great personality.
Winegrowers & winemakers
- Wine-maker Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego. Vineyard management Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego y Ernesto Sáenz de Samaniego.
- 92% Tempranillo, 6% Graciano y Mazuelo and 2% Viura.
- Between 12 and 25 years old vineyards.
- Plantation density: 3.000 vines/hectare.
- Goblet and double cord pruning.
- Production: 6.800 kg/hectare
- Hand harvested and taken to the winery in small trailer loads from October 12th to 28th.
Vineyards and terrain
The grapes come from our youngest plots, and are within a 6 km. radius from the winery, in the districts of Samaniego, Laguardia, and Elciego, at altitudes of between 350 m and 600 m above sea level.
A combination of calcareous/clay and stony soils, with the subsoil made up of various layers of white rock.
Strict carbonic maceration of the whole grapes in stainless steel vats.
Alcoholic fermentation in stainless steel vats at a maximum temperature of 24°C with gentle stirring. For this wine we use the traditional grape treading.
The wine is then kept in the vats until it is bottled. Lightly filtered.
Mediterranean climate with strong Atlantic influence. Extreme winter-summer contrast.
- Precipitation: 714 litres
- Ave. Temp.: min 8ºC, max 19.7ºC, average 13.4ºC
- Rainy days: 83
- Frozy mornings: 11
- Average temperature of the soil: 14.45ºC