Ostatu Gran Reserva 2011
Exclusivity of vintages. Tempranillo and Graciano. An elegant expression of the potential of great vintages in Samaniego. 24 months aging in oak casks, 5 months in oak tub and more than three years in the bottle give us a long life wine, elegant and perfumed, with excellent acidity and freshness.
- Vintage: 2011
- Vintage Classification: excellent
- Alcohol: 14.60%
- Bottled: september 2014
- Production: 4,200 Bottles
Winegrowers & winemakers
- Wine-maker Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego. Vineyard management Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego and Ernesto Sáenz de Samaniego
- 85% Tempranillo, 15% Graciano
- "El Rincón" vineyard, planted in 1945.
- Plantation density: 3.000 vines/hectare.
- Goblet pruning.
- Production: 1.5 kg/vine
- Hand harvested, in 15 Kg boxes, on 11th October.
Vineyards and terrain
The grapes come from our vineyard "El Rincón" located on small south facing slope, ready to take the morning sun, at an average altitude of 600m above the see level. Poor clay soil, very poor. The subsoil is made up of various layers of earth and white rock.
Vineyard grape selection, only the best grapes are taken to the winery.
Light destemming process to avoid damaging the grapes, without wringing out. Pre-fermentation cold maceration.
Alcoholic fermentation in small capacity vats for 21 days at a maximum temperature of 28°C. Reworking and breaking up the cap as appropriate during the fermentation.
Malolactic fermentation in new French oak casks. The wine is aged for almost 24 months in 50% new and 50% for the 1st and 2nd year French oak cask. After that, the wine goes to a wooden vat for extra 5 months ageing.
This wine does not undergo any stabilisation process.
Mediterranean climate with strong Atlantic influence. Extreme winter-summer contrast.
- Precipitation: 441.7 litres
- Ave. Temp.: min 6.9ºC, max 17.4ºC, average 11.6ºC
- Rainy days: 97
- Ave. Temp of the soil: 14.46ºC